Audio Description Training 2021
What is Audio Description (AD)?
Audio Description is a narration service for individuals who are blind or have low vision. The audio describer provides ongoing narration of the visual events that are taking place on the stage, screen, at a museum, or even presentations and conferences.
What is covered in Arts Access AD Training?
- The Basics of Audio Description: Guidelines for communicating visual details effectively and in the moment
- Who Uses Audio Description?: Understanding Blind and low vision culture, disability language and etiquette
- AD in Different Settings: How AD works in visual art, performing arts, film, and online events
- Practice Sessions: Practice your new skills with experienced describers and Blind listeners
- Case Studies: Hear from previous participants in Arts Access AD Training who took the skill back to their organizations and communities to start new programs
Who leads the AD Training?
Our lead trainer is Debbie Hippler, who has been an audio describer and trainer for more than two decades. Plus presentations and mentoring from Fred Brack and our team of describers who have experience and content knowledge in describing theater, visual art, film, opera, dance and online events. Arts Access has been providing audio description services for more than 20 years and has a wealth of knowledge and talent from our team.
When is the training?
The training will take place online, over four days.
- Monday, July 12th, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Tuesday, July 13th, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 14th, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Thursday, July 15th, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
How much does the training cost?
AD Training costs $500. If you are unable to afford the full tuition, Arts Access has limited scholarship funds available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-833-9919 x 1 to request a reduced fee. Priority will be given to individuals in Wake County, NC who may be able to work for Arts Access in the future.
Interested in becoming an audio describer but can’t attend this year’s training? Fill out this form.
If you’re interested in bringing an Arts Access Audio Description
Thanks to our Grantors!